Thursday, February 05, 2009

So I'm back in Melbourne. Good old Melbourne. Stinking hot Melbourne. 40 something degrees Melbourne. God I love this place.

I get asked a lot, "Why you go back so early?".

For instance:

A: Eh, when you leaving for Melbourne la?
Me: Ah, 29th January.
A: Oh, OK. Ah, when does uni start?
Me: 2nd of March.
A: Hah?! So late? Then why you go back so early?

OR

We are somewhere out.

Me: Hey man. I'm gonna call it a day man.
B: You going back already?
Me: Ah, yeah?
B: Why so early?

The conversation usually goes like this. My response is usually monotonic. Who'd blame me really, after getting asked so many times, who wouldn't have a semi-automatic like response. It's like when someone says "Hi" to you. You say "Hi" back. If your feeling particularly good you say "Hi!" with a vengeance. Just so we're quite clear, I never answer the question. People might think it a legitimate question, I find it rather rhetorical. I used to try justifying my statement but somewhere along the line it just became redundant. Like the thing hanging off the large intestines. Appendix. That's it. Frankly it's like asking why the grass is green. Sure you could go through the whole trouble of telling the other person what cells are and that-form 4 Biology, fail me not-chromoplasts(?) contain pigments which give it it's green colour which also help in photosynthesis. But at the end of the day no one really wants or needs to hear that. So in the end you just say, "Of course the grass is green what other colour could it be?". Now ignoring the fact that autumn comes that is an answer that would suffice.

Now I suppose you are reading a rather biased view to the arguement. Some curiosities are incurable. Like a cat who's waiting to be skinned you just can't help it. Dare I even say that to some it is a rather automatic response to my statement.
"Dude, I'm going back man."
"Why?"
I suppose on certain occasions my untimely statement does warrant a question. Some even an accusation not really wanting a response anyway. But really, what else is there to say. I mean there are reasons of course, but in the end do you really really want to hear about them? I'm not on the brink of some wildly informative breakthrough. So I like to leave it at that. Keep them guessing you know.
Why's he going back?
Hmm, maybe he's got to wake up early tomorrow.
Or maybe he's got an engagement to attend to.
Maybe he's turning into a zombie, the blood curling, body eating, semi-blind one but he isn't yet but he's feeling it and still has the presense of mind to excuse himself before he starts devouring his friends and cause a ruckus.
Or, on the outside chance, he's just tired and needs some rest.

They almost sound plausible eh.

No comments: