Thursday, November 08, 2007

The better side of the track

Been listening to the Eagles "I can't tell you why" on loop. Nothing like a bit of oldies to cure the soul. It baffles me why the bassist Timothy Shcmit didn't become the lead singer of the band when clearly he has the best vocals. I think he only did 2 numbers; the ever famous "Love will keep us alive" and this number. Then again they did change their bassist 3 times before settling to Timothy. I suppose Don Healy's voice still suits most of their numbers.

It scares me sometimes how artist's have the most brilliant of ideas to twist and turn some of these classic tunes into their own creations. Make no mistake some of it is alright, most of it's just really bellow par, and some nay most should just be left alone. For example, Scissor Sister's rendition of Comfortably Numb originally by Pink Floyd. Horrid. How can you turn a bloody slow rock song about a person's struggle with self grief and turmoil to a bloody disco song? Then there's the genius of them all Marilyn Manson. He reckons as long as you put heavy guitars and really loud bass and some double pedals to any song its good. I think musical originality is really going down the drain. Everything just sounds the same. And in a desperate attempt they try and change an already good song.

Ah well, I suppose as long as it pleases the ear. Thats good old American driven capitalism in action in music. Maybe we should all just play a riff and sell it to Sony BMG and earn some money. And maybe we could all make our own Ping Pong song like Operator Please. You tube is up, and HOPEFULLY you'll find that its the MOST meaningless song possibly in the entire world. I quote, "It's a song about ping pongs".....

I give up. And it won an ARIA which is like a Grammy in Australia. I suppose songs just aren't what they used to be eh. We should all return to the times of Bach or Chopin where music is just notes. It was good enough then maybe its still good now.

Well, thats that I suppose. Thats my 2 cents for you in short. Agree, or not, up to you. Shit, now I'm feeling guilty, I think I'll do some chemistry.....

No comments: