Monday, June 16, 2008

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CI BAI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KNNMCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*pfft*...phew........

Right now thats done with we can begin.

So what to blog about. What do my beloved audience of which seem to be dwindling at an exponential rate much like an e graph accept in this instance the numbers does touch the x-axis in which it would be wrong to call it an e graph anyway but I digress. Screw it. Who cares if I digress anyway. I don't even have a contention to digress from. Thats messed up. Heck I'm not even sure the entire paragraph is grammatically correct. Heh. Right. So....

*thinking cap on*

So I've been reading a bit lately. Besides TV and studying(*pfft* yea right....nearly flunked my micro paper, but alas I don't want to talk bout it) I've been reading a bit. And I don't know if it was subconscious or merely luck, though I think the latter would sound more realistic, I was reading a book by Mark Haddon "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" followed by a "Musicophilia" by the talented Dr. Oliver Sacks. The first one is about an autistic boy who while in the midst of living in his own world pretty much trying to find out who killed the dog at night. And the second book is about music and its various effects on people of all sorts targeting mostly the mentally impaired and the sudden urge of musicality or the loss of it due to life threatening accidents of all sorts. And what I found interesting while reading the books especially the latter one was how mysterious the mind was but also how these people seemed to dare challenge the norm of society almost in a catch-22 way. What struck me was the fragility of our mind. The fact that it takes so little for so much to happen was intriguing. The fact that some of these people he mentions were just fine till they woke up one morning hearing the whole 5th symphony in their head.

He mentions cases by which patients with severe Touretts's or Parkinson's disease who under normal circumstances would be incapable of normal stable mobility would be able to become still when induced by music. He talks about how musicians with Tourette's are able to perform when they get in the grove of it. He mentions one particular case where he investigates a person with severe dementia who is under normal circumstances unable to hold a memory for less than a second having been able to hum entire sonata's and symphonies almost from thin air. In that particular case, he talks about the mind being able to carry out automatic operations if you will despite the severe dementia this person is under. But he then makes the distinction between music and these automatic functions like walking or running and how amongst all the agony if you will he is able to chew, recognise his wife. And I got to thinking how amazing these things are. To actually be seemingly in the point of no return to finally find that one could find some refuge and no less in music seems surreal. This to me seems rather empowering and cynical at the same time. The fact that we can depend on music as a source of comfort even when we seemingly have forgotten the very meaning of comfort I find quiet warmth in but I can't help but be critical over the fact that given the state of mind some of these patients are in, what sort of comfort would comfort be if one can't even remember what it fells like anymore.

Of course he talks about the not so nice side of it where music can be a side effect spawned as a result of sudden mishaps or unintentional accidents which involve primarily the disturbance of patterns within the brain. I won't go into detail but I'll mention this. Studies have shown apparently that people of the more phonetic nations like China or Vietnam are more inclined to having perfect pitch as opposed to their English speaking counterparts. Also, perfect pitch occurs more frequently among kids then in adults and perfect pitch is often not inherited but conditioned. So I guess thats bout it. A good read I'd say but quite a bit of medical jargon. But I find its tailored to non-medical students.

EDIT: Fucking font....

No comments: